Friday, June 11, 2010

It is June - humidity, art festivals and my Golden Retriever-

Summer is here, the heat and humidity of Kansas City, not my favorite time of year.  I grew up in the desert southwest and have been in KC for 15 years.  I am still  adjusting to the humidity, but still hate it.


I went to the  first annual Liberty Arts Squared last Saturday, June 5th.  It was so humid, standing in the shade, sweat was rolling into my eyes and burning.  But I am happy to support a local art festival in my neighborhood.  I saw some great pieces of art, one of my favs was Cinderelish, a potter, who I visited with and found out she has a blog.  I love her pottery and could see pieces that I believe my daughter-in-law would love.


My dog Sadie, is a stubborn, overly friendly Golden Retriever.  She is always so eager to see people, I cannot control her, she pulls, wags ferociously and stretches out to sniff and lick them.    In the last two weeks I have been hurt as a result of her antics.  The first I was walking her and friend Newton in St Louis, and two little dogs were barking disturbingly at a fence as we approached.  Sadie pulled to get to them.  I braces to hold her back.  I was doing pretty good until I felt my left foot slip and my big toe hit the front of my shoe.    I did get Sadie past the little dogs and finished our mile walk.  An hour or so later, I felt my big toe hurting like my shoe had been too tight.  Upon further analysis, I found toe swollen, unable to bend and very sore.   I still don't know exactly what happened.  Toe is slightly better, but still not too flexible.  That was two weeks ago.


Last weekend, I took a two mile walk with Sadie and as I approached a man on the sidewalk, I deliberated about whether to step into street or hold bring Sadie to my side and secure her.  I did the later, and that rotten little cute girl leaped out to see sniff the man.  I stepped off the sidewalk to control her and stepped right into a hole and fell, twisted my knee and scrapped and bruised my elbow.  This has got to stop!!!!


I have tried the Gentle Leader, but Sadie walks around with her head to the ground in shame.  I talked to my friend Laura, a dog trainer and owner of  the The Dog's Spot, she recommended a product by Premier the Easy Walk Harness.  It did take me a bit to fit her, but this morning she walked right beside me.  I am also going to take some classes from Laura to isolate Sadie's people social skills.  Sadie loves Laura and taking classes at The Dog's Spot.  


Has anyone else had the same trouble like Sadie?


Regina

No comments: